This week in the studio, we’ve been testing out a few fun hats on our mini smiley face balloons. You can attach these to balloon sticks and make adorable favors for parties (or, they also make great centerpieces!) We’re sharing 5 different options for you to try out. Make just one version for a themed party or mix it up and make them all! Get the easy DIYs below.
Step 1:Blow up the mini balloons and attach them to the balloon sticks.
Step 2: Print out the templates for all the costumes.
Step 3: Make the costumes.
- For the party hat: Use the party hat template to cut your hat out of colored cardstock. Then cut a small strip of crepe paper out (around .5″)and and cut even fringe along each side. Ruffle and scrunch the fringe with your fingers. Attach the fringe to the base of the party hat using a stapler. Attach the party hat to the top of the balloon using tape.
- For the top hat & bow tie: Use the template to cut out your hat and bow tie from black cardstock. Fold the outside edges of the bow tie in so that they converge in the middle. Glue, tape or staple the bow tie together. Glue a band of white paper around the middle of the bow tie. On the hat template, fold all the triangles on top inward and fold all the squares on bottom outward. Fold over the paper so that it creates a cylinder and glue the sides together. Once the glue has dried, add glue to the tops of the triangles and fold the big circle down. This will be the top of your hat. Place your black cardstock donut over the top of the hat and glue it to the tops of the square flaps. Attach the top hat to the top of the balloon and the bow tie to the front of the balloon using tape.
- For the pirate hat: Use the template to cut out your hat from black cardstock. Glue the sides of the hat together so it makes a circle. Cut out the bones from the template and glue them to the front of the hat. Glue the top of the semi-cirlce eye patch to a long piece of black ribbon. Attach the eye patch and pirate hat to the balloon using tape.
- For the crown: Use the template to cut out the crown shape from yellow cardstock. Glue it down onto a piece of gold crepe paper. Cut out the crown from the crepe paper on three sides then fold over the crepe paper and glue it down on the other side. Cut out the crown again. Fold the crown into a cylinder and glue together. Attach to the balloon with tape.
- For the floral headband: Cut out 5″ sheet of crepe paper. Place one hand on top of the crepe paper, and pull the fingers from your other hand down through the first hand. This will create a ruffle effect on the top seam of the crepe paper. Wrap the crepe paper around itself so that it creates a bloom. Wrap a piece of floral wire around the bottom. Tape a piece of ribbon around the top of the balloon to create a headband. Then attach the flowers to the top of the balloon with tape.
Step 4: Enjoy!