We’ve become seasoned pros at traveling with kids. I am not one to buy a lot of baby gear (less is more in my book.) But here are some kid items we’ve used when we traveled that were very helpful. Of course we always adjusted what we brought based on the trip and what phase the kids were going through. Moses could fall asleep in a hotel bed even when he was a baby so we forgot about the baby crib. But Roman needed one to fall asleep so that became a priority. Here is my list of 10 favorite travel gear for kids.
1. Toddler Headphones. My kids have free reign with the ipad on these flights. Throw in a pair or two of head phones and with luck the flight will be uneventful.
2. Car Seats Travel Cart. On trips where we will be in cars a lot we don’t bring our stroller. Instead we add this cart to the car seat so we can wheel it and check it at the gate. It turns the bulky car seat into a stroller, just for getting through the airport.
3. Kid Backpacks. It’s time they started pulling their own weight, make them carry their own goldfish crackers! Fill these with snacks, stickers and activities. The kids are ready for their adventure.
4. Cute Hats. Dress your kids cute, let them make friends while they are happy. You never know when you’ll need forgiving glances later on in the flight.
5. Disposable Bibs. These don’t take up space and you thrown them away like a napkin when the meal is over. Easy peasy.
For the whole list and sources continue reading.
6. Knife and Peeler. This may be a stretch for “gear” but it is my favorite trick for traveling with kids. When you are on the go convenient healthy foods are harder to find. I started bringing along these tools and then in the mornings I prepared some fresh fruits and vegetables I got from the market in baggies. Instead of reaching for the Doritos they reach for carrot sticks.
7. Portable High Chair. I love this chair. It’s especially great for visiting Grandma or somewhere you’ll be staying for a while. Baby has a place to eat without taking up too much space.
8. Bottle Brush. We bring one of these along with some dishsoap in a little baggy for cleaning bottles and sippy cups (which are a pain to clean if you don’t have one.)
9. Portable Crib. We love this portable crib, it folds up so small and is easy to take around. Sometimes the baby crib at the hotel can be suspect in its level of cleanliness, sometimes its nice to bring your own.
10. Umbrella Stroller. A small lightweight stroller that is easy to carry and check at the gate. We love this stripey number.
Those are my favorite 10, what are your favorite items for traveling with kids?