Party + Wedding Ideas
You've got a party to throw? Well, you’ve come to the right place. Here you’ll find our favorite party ideas. Showers, Birthday parties, Anniversaries, and Weddings all in one spot! Ideas we came up with and links to the best ones on the web.
Banana Republic approached us about doing a Mad Men party to launch their new Mad Men collection that comes out today. We had some friends over to our studio for a little dinner and photobooth session and to try on the new collection. It was a really fun night. My friend Andrea did some awesome 60′s food and we made pompom party hats for our guests and my favorite part of all was the floating circle photobooth installation. The concept is really easy and just involves paper, glue and a sewing machine. The final effect is even more impressive in person because all the circles are constantly dancing around like a mobile. It is a super simple way to add lots of color to a party. Find the full instructions below after the jump.
All clothing from Banana Republic’s new Mad Men line. On Stacy: Textured Shell in Navy, Gingham Crop Pants, Peggy Ballet Heel in Seashell, Beauty chain necklace, Chain Necklace (worn as a bracelet) On Jordan: Mod Shirtdress, Nicola Platform Wedge, Dome Ring On Alison: Peggy Knit Shift Dress, Kary pointed-toe pump in Dove Gray, Chain Necklace On Rebecca: Vertical-Stripe Dress, Kary pointed-toe pump in Black and White, Liza Pump in Taupe, Beaded Necklace, Contrast Clutch in Black, Geo Silk Scarf in Kapalua coral Sunglasses:Pink Sunglasses, Minna Sunglasses
Click through for full instructions
The idea behind this column is you can keep a basic amount of party supplies in your closet and create several different parties with just a little bit of preparation. For this party we pulled: rainbow streamers, striped straws, tall candles, confetti, and patterned napkins from my party closet (see the whole closet here.) I picked up the cake from a bakery and the whole thing was put together in about an hour.
Sometimes I like to spend a lot of time preparing for a party but most of the time I just put everything together last minute. I have this theory that that you can throw a really great party with the just the following:
-Keep a nice stock of items in your party supply closet
-1 hour of errands
-1 hour of crafting
When I run errands I usually pick up a cake or make a quick stop to a party store. In addition I like to spend an hour making something so the party feels special whether it is tiny hats for party animals, fringey garland, or homemade party hats. But the key to pulling out a great party last minute is keeping a well stocked party closet. When you keep a few of these party supplies on hand it is easy to pull a great party together at the last minute. I’ve been wanting to do some posts like this where I show some of the most-used items in my closet and how to pull them together for different events. We will be sharing some party ideas this week but first I wanted to talk about some of the things I keep on hand in my party closet.
1. Candles. I choose candles based on the cake size and style and who is blowing them out. These number candles are great for small cakes or if you are celebrating a large number and you don’t want to go all out. I love these tall graceful candles for classic birthday cakes. They come in really good colors. I always keep these “Happy Birthday” Candles for a quick and festive cake topper.
2. Paper. I really like to keep some raw materials around like white butcher party and folds of crepe paper. The crepe paper I use for everything: dot garlands, giant fringe, fringe garlands, and flower party blowers. If you read this blog then you know it is my medium of choice because you can do so much with it. The paper is great for backdrops or making giant signs or making homemade wrapping paper. It is a good thing to keep around.
3. Confetti. I really love this confetti from Party City, it comes in great colors. The giant confetti I got in France couldn’t find a good source. And party poppers are the best for when there is a special moment like an announcement or New Years Eve, etc.
4. Napkins. I get napkins from pretty much everywhere: Ikea, Target, etc. But I swear when I need them, they never have good ones. So I always pick up the good ones when I see them.
5. Balloons. A bunch of balloons whether they are helium or just hanging out on the floor, it is the easiest way to make a room feel festive. I usually keep a few bags of basic balloons and a few of the giant balloons.
6. Treat Bags. I use these little bags to print on and to package food or toys for favors. I like the selection over here.
7. Straws and Picks. I love a good striped paper straw and I use these wooden skewers all the time, for cupcake toppers, drink stirrers, and for food presentation.
8. Decorations. These decorations are the easiest way to add color in a just a minute or two. They are inexpensive and look great in masses. Pearl River Mart is a great source for garlands.
Here is a fun project inspired by some of the party supplies I found in France. The idea is pretty simple. You fill up a tube with confetti and when you are ready to throw the confetti you take off the lid and throw the confetti. The motion of your arm propels all the little confettis into the air. Of course you could buy confetti pre-made but our pretty confetti only took a little time to make and you can custom tailor the colors to your event. These look so nice when they are done that they are easy to incorporate into your party or wedding decor. Find the instructions and sources below.
Step 1: To make the confetti cut strips into the folds of tissue paper then cut through the strips to make little square confettis. Make sure the size of your confetti is small enough to fit in your tubes.
Step 2: Put the confetti in the clear tubes and cap the lid so they are ready for your guests.
Valentine’s Day gets a bum wrap, all the pressure and expectations! I love Valentine’s Day because it is an excuse to do little surprises for people and make them feel loved. I’m going for less red roses and more thoughtful gestures. Here is a little surprise to get someone’s Valentine’s Day started out right. Fill a closet or cupboard with heart balloons and wait for them to get showered in balloons. It is super easy and simple to pull this off.
Materials Needed: 1 Bag of Heart Balloons, Lungs of Steel