This fan garland might be my favorite thing we sell in the Oh Happy Day Party Shop. It stores flat and unfolds into a statement-making large garland. Plus it comes in really great colors. We decided to play with it a little and made this craft project. Since fan garlands come in one-color the first thing we did is cut a few of them up into sections and taped them back together to make a multi color fan garland. See the next steps below…
Next to spruce up the fans we added some Art-Deco designs made with paper and overlayed them on top. It’s a really simple idea but came out so fun. I love that you can do it in any color palate you want.
Materials: Paper bunting fan garlands (in peach, yellow, mint, and cerise), scissors, scotch tape, cardstock in a bunch of colors (we chose coral, pink, peach, neon yellow, mint, teal), glue stick, triangle hole punch, small round hole punch, ruler, x-acto knife
Step 1: Separate the segments of the fan garlands with a pair of scissors. Shuffle the colors and tape the segments back together with scotch tape.
Step 2: Cut shapes for the garland design from cardstock. It helps to make one set of pieces for a finalized design, and then use that set as a guide to cut out the rest. Mix and match your colors to get the most variety!
- Cut two quarters of a circle from the mint cardstock. Cut a semicircle from the short end of the pink cardstock, and a slightly smaller semicircle from the coral. Stack the circles so they share the same flat edge and glue together.
- Cut a strip of yellow cardstock 3” wide, and a slightly smaller strip in coral. Punch holes along the side of the yellow cardstock and glue the coral to the back. Glue to the center of the semicircle and trim to size.
- Punch out ten yellow triangles and glue along the curved edge.
- Cut two halves of a semicircle outline from teal cardstock, then glue the two pieces together.
- Fold a sheet of coral paper into eighths, and cut a leaf shape from the stack.
- Using an x-acto knife and ruler, cut seven 1/2″ wide strips from the long end of the yellow paper. Trim one end of each strip to a point.
- Space seven leaves evenly along the semicircle and glue. Then, glue the pointed side of the strip to the center of each leaf, and join the other ends at the center. Glue together and trim once dry.
- Cut four tiered yellow diamonds, each a little longer than the other. Cut a semicircle from the long end of a sheet of cardstock. Stack and glue together.
- Cut two long mirror triangles from the coral, and two slightly smaller mirror triangles from the teal. Glue to the semicircle so a bit of the yellow circle peeks through.
Step 3: Hang up the garland, and secure the designs to the face of the garland, taping the designs to the top at the beginning, middle, and end. You’re all done!